Present Simple



Present simple

We use the present simple to talk about actions we see as long term or permanent. It is a very common and very important tense.

Here, we are talking about regular actions or events.
·         They drive to the office every day.
·         She doesn't come here very often.
·         The news usually starts at 6.00 every evening.
·         Do you usually have bacon and eggs for breakfast?

Here, we are talking about facts.
·         We have two children.
·         Water freezes at 0° C or 32° F.
·         What does this expression mean?
·         The Thames flows through London.

Here, we are talking about future facts, usually found in a timetable or a chart.
·         Christmas Day falls on a Monday this year.
·         The plane leaves at 5.00 tomorrow morning.
·         Ramadan doesn't start for another 3 weeks.
·         Does the class begin at 10 or 11 this week?

Here, we are talking about our thoughts and feelings at the time of speaking. Although these feelings can be short-term, we use the present simple and not the present continuous.
·         They don't ever agree with us.
·         I think you are right.
·         She doesn't want you to do it.
·         Do you understand what I am trying to say.


Present simple or continuous

The Present Simple is used for:
·         regular actions or events
He plays tennis most weekends.


·         facts
The sun rises in the east.


·         facts known about the future
We leave at 8.30 next Monday


·         thoughts and feelings about the time of speaking
I don't feel very well.


The Present Continuous is used for:

·         the time of speaking ('now')
Shh, I'm trying to hear what they are saying .


·         things which are true at the moment but not always
We're looking for a new flat.


·         present plans for the future
We're having dinner with them next week .


Look at these examples :
·         I don't usually have cereals for breakfast but I'm having some this morning because there is nothing else.
·         I often cycle to work but I'm taking the car this morning because it's raining very hard.
·         I'm thinking about having my hair cut short but I don't think my husband will be very happy about it.
·         My parents live in Washington but I'm just visiting.

Note how, in all these examples, we use the present continuous to talk about events which are temporary/limited in time and the present simple to talk about events which are habits/permanent.

Comments

  1. Τhanks veгy interеѕting blоg!


    Also visіt my web site ... chatroulette

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment