Test Answer (ESOL) Writing 1

ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST FOR MALAYSIAN SECONDARY STUDENT

WRITING 
QUESTION AND DISCUSSION

PART 2: Question 6

You have just returned from a week's holiday staying at the home of your British friend, Sam.
Write a card to your friend, Sam. In your card, you should:


  • Tell Sam about your journey back to your home
  • Say what you enjoyed most about your stay
  • Ask Sam to visit you
Write 35-45 words on your answer sheet.

Explanation:
  1. The question asked you to write a note based on those three points.
  2. Your writing should not exceed the words limitation.
  3. You may write the note in one paragraph (Basically, note is a short writing and does not involve any format)
Here are the sample answers :

A: Band 5 answer

Dear Sam,

I really like the week's holiday staying at your home very much. I enjoyed swimming with you in the sea, it was fun by the way. However, my journey home was awful, I had to stay in a plane for twenty hours. Hey! Why don't you come to visit my place next summer? I look forward for it.

Regards,
Janet

Comment:

This student has followed the requirements of the question. He/she has stated all the points given clearly in every sentence. Furthermore, errors are present but do not affect the clarity of the communication.

B: Band 2 answer

Dear Sam,

I wanted to say that I'm well. I had very nice holidays. This holidays were super. I want to go to you again. I want to see places of interest again. I want to see you too!
Please write me how you are. What is the wather in London. I'm waiting to your answer.

Valerie

Comment:
  1. This candidate does not provide any information regarding the travelling back home.
  2. There are a lot of grammatical errors.
  3. Basically, for SPM and PMR candidates - You are not allowed to write short form such as cannot - "can't", I am - "I'm"
  4. This candidate does not really understand the question


Comments